I wonder if anyone worries that no women contribute to the list? It's perfectly obvious why, btw, since clearly it doesn't bother anyone; but it's as much a gap as the "younger generation" who are, as you say, so "conservative".

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Sean Carey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
To contribute I simply responded to Peter Riley's question regarding the health of this listing as it has been asleep for a long span of time. Healthy robust debate is not to all tastes here but it does add vitality rather it being as dull as watching paint dry. Indeed I did mention early on I feared I was the sour grapes guy or a man with a grump.

Nobody must deny or try to muzzle anyone for any reason or assume their status or position or wealth puts them above the ordinary list member. Freedom of expression is under threat on all levels and my impression is that the younger generation on both islands are ultra conservative. They must be tackled and confronted by those of us who value freedom. All the gains made since the sixties must be defended at all costs or we will soon wake up in a fascist state on both sides of The Irish Sea.

Those who enjoy a quiet life in their old age may feel this is dramatic but I have not seen in my lifetime such a mood of reaction or total selfishness in society. This warning goes across the political range with not just UKIP or the Conservatives in mind. The fact very few younger list members say anything on here speaks volumes.

The minnows and pleb view of writers like myself who are non academic or with no vast list of publications is not grudge talk but harsh reality. My error was not being as cute a hoor as others in Ireland who kept their eyes on the prize without any effort at helping others in any serious way. "It is a lesson too late for the learning" and having walked free from an eight car crash on the M5 yesterday sore but in one piece I see it as a sober lesson on how one must not evade anything or waste time. Most of the time I realise I am talking here to the converted but I hope some understand my pleas for equality.

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: BRITISH-IRISH-POETS
Sent: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 14:56
Subject: Re: Heaney and Larkin

Over the years since I first became aware of your work John I had and have respect for you and in more recent times expressed my support for your edition of Dylan Thomas's work on Facebook. I do not have a copy of ''Colonies Of Belief'' to hand to look at it in an overall typographical way to examine what other errors may have occurred for other writers included in it. My understanding was that a proofread was done by a Dublin writer with Andrew Duncan actually printing the book in England. In an online quote Andrew claimed he was ''depressed'' at that time which made the book less focused than it was and he offered me a free copy to replace the copy lost in the 2006 fire in an e mail exchange. The idea of an errata slip never hit me at that time nor was it suggested by Maurice who in his introduction mentioned the grid format of 5 X 5 line stanzas which was quite specific. The published format went away beyond five per page which makes for a cluttered presentation. Paul Green's edition with an introduction by Peter O' Leary and an Afterword by myself was published in 2009 by Spectacular Diseases is a correct presentation of the text. The gap between publications being ten years and I now regret I did not mention the 1999 publication in the Afterword.

On the Irish golden circle John you know as well as I know who and what is involved and how it all came about and to fully explain I have alluded to before on this list without going into detail. People protect their own interests in the literary field and at the end of the day their careers come before anything else. They have now for decades claimed the ''Irish Modernist'' market as their preserve and exclusion is exclusion but it is all about literary gigs publishing one another and obtaining grants. They do not have to bother contributing anything to this list as their pots of gold are safe and both of the Irish states Arts Council grant bodies look after them. Some of us are more equal than others re the jackpots available and the poor indeed are always with us but they are to blame themselves in a Katie Hopkins way.

Ok John. On the overall publication I offer an apology to you as I know you are a decent guy who never on purpose would undermine anyone for any reason. My issues are not with you and you did not edit the poetry section of ''Colonies Of Belief'' or undertake the proofread prior to Andrew Duncan publishing the book. The corrections at short notice show your perceptions and indeed interest. I value your own writing and regret you do not promote it more but you are a modest man. I look forward to meeting you again at some stage and do keep in touch.

Cheers

Sean