What it has always reminded me of is Blake: 'And priests in black gowns Were walking their rounds And binding with briars My joys and desires'  The dactyls may have encouraged this pairing.

Chains in a maritime context were strangely absent from my early experience. We used to catch newts in little nets, sometimes getting leeches by accident.

 PR