Does anyone remember the Merseyside group – Rory Storm and the Hurricanes?

Could they be related?

Robert

From: British & Irish poets [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Bircumshaw
Sent: 03 October 2014 03:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Kate Tempest etc

Abstract art: the CIA's favourite, that's how the joke goes, isn't it? I greatly admire some American poets, above all the magnificent Cesar Vallejo.

You know I came of a certain age around 1970 and what was interesting and contemporary for me was in Britain then, which promised so much, only to be extinguished in Thatcherdom. A lot of the US American stuff, like the Beats or Frank O'Hara or Olson, seemed as 50s as Larkin and Amis. Or Elvis the Pelvis. Obviously in a different way but already avant-dated, like Marlon on the waterfront.

Was slashed about by briar and bramble on a walk today, that's why I'm awake at 3.20 am, tending my wounds, my legs look like chopping boards. Avoid extinct Pre-Cambrian volcanoes in Leicestershire, that's my advice. I would close with opining that real poetry is always contemporary, as well as of its time. Catullus wrote odi et amo only yesterday, as did Shakespeare turn Cordelia and Lear to birds in a cage.