From: David Bircumshaw <[log in to unmask]>
To: BRITISH-IRISH-POETS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, Oct 7, 2014 05:56 AM
Subject: Heaney and Larkin

       At the risk of sounding controversial where no controversy exists, i would respectfully suggest there was a literary relationship between Heaney's practice and Larkin's. Heaney wrote, not without reservations, about Larkin several times in prose, but most memorably in 'The Journey Back', the opening poem of 'Seeing Things', which though deftly written also conjures the strange comparison of Larkin to Dante, representing as it does a supernal vision of Larkin's shade a la Dante's appearance to firewarden TSE.

I also recall US American critics applying it some of their own post 1960s generation, though at this distance in time I'm not sure of whom.

    Yours

--

David Joseph Bircumshaw

         Website and A Chide's Alphabet