Hi Ben.

Best journalism I've seen is story by Tom Bell at:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/10/stop-blaming-nepali-guides-2014102071721253680.html

Mike

On 23 October 2014 13:56, CAMPBELL B. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear BNAC friends

I have just heard that six porters’ bodies arrived yesterday for cremation in the village of Grang in Rasuwa, which is one of the major sources of portering labour for Himalayan treks. The Tamang clans of Shyangba and Loptsen in the district are in mourning and cannot receive tika from their clan sisters for tihar.

1.       Could we perhaps post a tribute and condolences note for both Nepalis and tourists who lost their lives in the recent tragedy

2.       Initiate some discussion that would be of benefit to portering communities and the trekkers who benefit from the porters’ work and sacrifices

3.       Please let me know of any good journalism you may have come across on the recent events

Best wishes

Ben

Dr Ben Campbell
Degree Director
MSc Sustainability, Culture and Development
Department of Anthropology
Dawson Building
Durham University
South Road
Durham DH1 3LE
UK

phone 0191 334 1621
email [log in to unmask]

Lately published:

2013. Ben Campbell. 'Living Between Juniper and Palm: nature, culture and power in the Himalayas'. Oxford University Press, Delhi.

2013. Campbell, B. and P. Sallis. ‘Low-carbon yak cheese: transition to biogas in a Himalayan socio-technical niche’. Interface Focus 3: 20120052.

NEW from 2013: Msc in Energy and Society

Contact Ben Campbell or Simone Abram for information.

Low Carbon Energy for Development Network

lcedn.com

--
Michael Hutt
Professor  of Nepali and Himalayan Studies

Inline image 1