Dear Allstat subscribers,

We are pleased to announce that the next meeting of the RSS Lancashire
and Cumbria local group which will take place on Thursday 30th October
3.30pm – 5pm at Lancaster University (Room A54, Postgraduate Statistics
Centre).

For our seminar,  we are pleased to welcome Professor Ian Pewlis from
University of Manchester and Professor Roger Stern from the Statistical
Services Centre, University of Reading.  This is a session focussed on
Statistics for International Development.

The seminar will be followed by a wine reception in the Postgraduate
Statistics Centre.

We look forward to seeing you here in Lancaster. There is no need to
register, but if you have any queries please contact Matt Nunes
([log in to unmask]) or Lisa Hampson ([log in to unmask]).

Speaker:   Ian Pewlis (University of Manchester)
Title:     Indian farmer suicides: is GM cotton to blame?

Abstract:
=========
Trends in the numbers of Indian farmers committing suicide have
generated considerable media interest and have been linked with changes
in farming practices, notably the introduction of genetically modified
(GM) cotton seeds. This is one of the arguments used by anti-GM
campaigners. The statistical basis for many of the assertions is,
however, flimsy. My paper addresses questions about data sources and
data quality, the statistical analysis of short time series, and causal
inferences from observational and aggregate data. The balance of
evidence does not support the asserted link between increases in farmer
suicides resulting from growing GM cotton.
Ian Plewis is Professor of Social Statistics at the University of
Manchester, having previously worked at the Centre for Longitudinal
Studies in London. His research interests are mostly in the measurement
and explanation of change, especially using longitudinal data.

Ian Plewis is Professor of Social Statistics at the University of
Manchester, having previously worked at the Centre for Longitudinal
Studies in London. His research interests are mostly in the measurement
and explanation of change, especially using longitudinal data.

Speaker:  Roger Stern (University of Reading)
Title:    Statistics for development

Abstract:
=========
Statistical support is required for a wide range of development and
research projects.  Examples from Africa and beyond are described,
particularly focusing on case studies in agriculture and climatology.
Parallel efforts to improve and broaden the training of statisticians in
Africa are also described, to facilitate more effective use of local
resources.

For further details of upcoming events in 2014, please see our website
http://www.rss-lancashire.org.uk/events

SIGNOFF allstat