Regarding photography, the only effective and efficient way for novices to achieve industry usable results is by hands-on practice under supervision/instruction. There doesn't seem much point in putting substantial resources into digital workflows if the original images aren't up to it. On the other hand how much better for everyone in the chain if the images look worthwhile and the end users agree too. More emphasis on photographic training might be prudent in the long run or, perhaps, use of digital file-types with maximal loss!

Max Browne
www.digitisingart.co
email [log in to unmask]
tel 0044 (0)7966 436973