From: Walking Artists Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Simone
Sent: 04 September 2014 20:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Why Walking Helps Us Think - The New Yorker

I appreciate you naming this Dee. I'm so tired of ranting on about it.Still
think more ahrc funding should be given to you and Cathy!

Sorry to miss your talk.

Simone

> On 4 Sep 2014, at 17:36, Deirdre Heddon <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I know this is not the focus of the article, but how tiresome it is to see
yet again the solo male figure striding across an empty landscape - managing
to both walk and think! And yes, those are mountains in the background.
> It would be lovely just occasionally to see a woman who is able to walk
and think (imagine that!). Or, even more radical, a representation that
shows thinking to be a relational act rather than the product of individual
genius.
> (And yes, I know Virginia Wolf is referenced in the piece - if any
> woman is referenced, it's always Virginia Wolf. And often only
> Virginia Wolf.)
>
> Rather than ranting on, I will instead (in a blatant performance of
self-publicity) direct anyone with the slightest interest in the gendered
politics of walking to the articles co-authored with Cathy Turner:

> Heddon, D., and Turner, C. (2012) Walking women: shifting the tales and
scales of mobility. Contemporary Theatre Review, 22 (2). pp. 224-236.

> Heddon, D., and Turner , C. (2010) Walking women: interviews with artists
on the move. Performance Research, 15 (4). pp. 14-22.

> On Wednesday, at Roehampton University, I'll be turning my attention to
walking and disability - maybe see some of you there.

> Regards,
> Dee
>

> Deirdre Heddon
> Professor of Theatre Studies
> 9 University Avenue, University of Glasgow, G12 8QQ
> www.gla.ac.uk/schools/cca/staff/deirdreheddon/

message to over 300 subscribers. Please do so only if you wish to respond to
everyone.