Last Friday I took part in the British Social Attitudes Survey that your article draws its survey data from and after that experience, I would have to disagree with any claim that this is a reliable survey of attitudes towards benefits, benefit claimants and the welfare state in general. I thought that the questions posed in these areas were leading and simply reinforced (amongst otehr things) the stereotypes that immigrants are here simply to claim benefits and that those on housing benefit are raking in huge amounts of money. I'd like to have the questionnaire to look at in detail as after taking part in the survey, as I would like to spend some time analysing the methodological problems that were raised by the questions (and some answer choices) used.

Regards,

Steve Clayton
Senior Lecturer in Public Health,
UCLAN