Slightly improved version, which please use hereafter:

Symmetrical Mutations and Inversions of the Typography
behind Spenser’s Variably Transparent Allegorical Veils,
1579-1599

	In 1579 the new poet begins with his Skeltonic persona
Colin Clout as an English rustic in a pastoral landscape
that includes an identifiable Cambridge don.  His London
publisher-bookseller is identified as “dwelling in Creed
Lane neer unto Ludgate at the syne of the golden Tunne.”
 This specificity is one pole of our topic; neverland, or
otherland, so speak, is the other.
	The first installment of the poet’s romance epic,
published in 1590, takes place in fairyland, its long-term
hero being an Saxon Englishman, Prince Arthur, who has
been educated by one Timon, it would seem in Merlin’s
England, before his being exported — as a kind of landed
emigrant or privileged visitor or colonist pro tem — into
fairyland: via a dream that has caused him to seek the
fairy queen across the various reaches of her territory.
 There is an allusion in Book III to Drake in Costa Rica,
and in Book II to the Spanish in Peru, the English in
Virginia, and a kind of garrison beset by the natives in
America.
	In 1595 Colin Clout reappears in the autobiographical
poem bearing his name; Colin is now a dweller in the
poet’s home in Ireland, the home from which he voyages to
England for an interview with the English queen,
identified as Cynthia, and from whose court he returns to
Ireland:  Colonist Clout, but the topographic ratio
between Ireland and England, or Arcadia and Britain, has
been decisively inverted.
	In 1596 the poet publishes the second installment of his
heroic poem, in which there is a major scene located as/at
the confluence of the Thames and Medway and a late
reference the Prince of Pictland (Scotland) — and palpable
allusions to Mary Stuart's trial in England, which Arthur
visits, and Lord Grey's commission in Ireland, which
Artegall pacifies. The Indians in Book II's North America
have been replaced by the kerns in Book V's Ireland.
 Colin Clout reappears recognizably — “who knowes not
Colin Clout?” — and likewise terminally, this time on a
mountain with an Arcadian name from ancient Greece.  But
the installment ends with all the famous Arthurian knights
“borne in Britaine land” receding into the legendary tales
“of yore.”  Britain land has replaced fairyland.
	Sometime before 1599 Spenser writes the Mutabilitie
Cantos piece, its primary local scene now being Arlo Hill
— “who knowes not Arlo hill?”  —Or that “Cynthus hill,”
from which this epyllion’s local Cynthia takes her name?
 The English queen never visited her lands in Ireland; but
here her cognomen never returns to them.  The local Irish
story is found in the records of fairyland, but again, the
topographic ratio, here between Gloriana’s territory in
fairyland and Cynthia’s in Ireland, has been decisively
inverted.     FIN

James Nohrnberg
Dept. of English, Bryan Hall 219
Univ. of Virginia