Can anyone please tell me, was the Duke of Connaught (Queen Victoria's
third son) on an official trip to the Cape, Dec. 1905-Jan. 1906, when
Kipling met him on board the liner taking him and his family for their
winter sojourn at /The Woolsack/?  Neither the Duke's entry in the
Dictionary of National Biography nor his wikipedia entry make any
mention of his performing any Royal duties at this time (he went to
Japan later in 1906 to give the Emperor the Garter), so I have assumed
he was just on holiday.  But maybe you know better . . . .?  Please?
/Alastair Wilson/