Dear All,

Jen raises an interesting point. I have been subscribed to or involved with list servs for about 25 years.

I find it is one the most useful systems, within the right context, for a professional.

My career has moved from academia to private sector to public sector.

In that time I have experienced moderated lists (H-Diplo and H-War on the H-Net system in the US, which has recently switched to a new platform and a new arrangement)

I have been involved in Jiscmail since I came to the UK on RM, DPA, and FOIA, Archives as well as three other lists that rarely post material these days.

I have been involved in Knowledge Hub (Khub)  for the past 5 years (although I have posted less there recently because of the changes to the login system and the way that it designed (a lesson in there for redesigning any community system).

What I have noticed throughout all of these years is each list or system reflects the professional personalities of its subscribers or users. Some have a lot of posts, some are combative (in a polite way (See H-Diplo in its heyday), while others are information exchanges with discussions of specific technical problems or where there is little discussion but much offline emails.

I find that RM serves an important purpose through the main contributor. It allows me to track RM information in a way I do not currently have set up or could take the time to set up.

I am also on Twitter and run three blogs of my own. On each of these systems there are ways to format the flow of information and find what is useful and interesting. I try to make use of these to the extent that I understand their capacity.

I could cut all of these out and just read the IRMS bulletin when it arrives every month. However, my understanding of RM and awareness of the field would be limited to what IRMS editorial team (who do a fine job) decide to publish. At the same time, I would not have a way to share my thoughts and ask questions of other professionals. I cannot talk to the IRMS (although colleagues at work will attest to the fact that I do some times read aloud from it.) (J)

What I have found from all of this is that the wheat and chaff is resolved by the natural process. I mean no disrespect to anyone on jiscmail or on H-diplo but anything that is worthy of historical preservation or being considered a jewel finds its way off the list and into the wider public domain.

What I have noticed though, recently, is that more lists are going quiet as people post material to their own blogs and their own twitter accounts. Less and less material and ideas are being discussed on these lists than say five years ago.

I have never worried about the system taking care of itself with retention or system controls as that has never been a question that concerned me because my own posts arrive in my mailbox to store or delete as required.

Finally, I have always used the delete button judiciously, rigorously and extensively, especially with my own posts and materials (perhaps prevention needs to be exercised more J). However, I have never wanted to stop anyone from posting or wanted to go to a system that limited accessibility or required greater effort to participate. Those systems that do require greater effort to participate usually do not succeed as well as the other systems and participants do not benefit from it.

Best,

Lawrence