Hi Gill,

Nice summary of the issues. I think you are correct about both (not so)
naive wonderings. I don't think MNR necessarily has the same attitude
toward 'causality', as it is at least, in principle, neutral between
different research traditions, some of which (in many cases, depending on
review topic) are explicitly in the 'non-causal' camp. For example, much of
the interpretive tradition in social science rejects the idea that the
concept of 'causality' should be central in trying to understand what is
happening in the social world. In fact, some reject the explanatory model *in
toto*, preferring adequate description as the aim of inquiry. Of course,
the realist would argue that this rejectionism is based on accepting the
positivist conceptualization of 'causality' and 'explanation', which is all
very well for the realist; however, MNR doesn't (at least in my reading)
take a position here.

What I like about MNR is, that it not only does what you say by presenting
both what separate traditions offer and by synthesizing across them in
order to give overall conclusions, it allows what I think of as 'submerged'
research traditions to come to the fore. Often, from a sociology of
scientific knowledge perspective, certain research traditions gain a
foothold and become the dominant strain in relation to particular topics
for a variety of reasons not related to some kind of intrinsic
epistemological merit; MNR allows us to bring a fresh lens to alternative
traditions that may offer unique insights, yet are not well known, or
receive much less prominence. I think a great example of how MNR can do
this is in Trish and colleagues work on electronic patient records.

Anyway, nice to have some discussion of MNR as I'm reflecting on how to
write up some publications!

Cheers, Simon

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Gill Westhorp <[log in to unmask]