A seriously good candidate would be Graeme Reid.

Sorry, Professor Dr Graeme Reid.

Professor Graeme Reid - Sciences & technology in the service of society

http://www.csap.cam.ac.uk/network/graeme-reid/

Not only a Scotsman but, some say, single handedly responsible for staving off massive cuts to the UK’s science budget during the early days of the coalition government. And now liberated from the shackles of government.

Doubtless you have seen recent reports in the Financial Times, and probably other places, of academics and researchers north of the border fearing the worst if there is a Yes vote. These may also name people who are willing to put their heads above the parapet.

MK