Ha, well I take Andrew’s point, somewhat & generally, but also, rereading, see those final ones as carrying a sharpened stick, & inviting either complete abjection or sudden recognition, & that bifurcation leads both back into the poem as a whole or onwards to whatever….

Doug
On Sep 25, 2014, at 5:25 AM, Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Step outside, would you, Andrew.
>
> I have returned to the poem and tried to read it as you have with regard to
> your remarks on the last paragraph. I disagree.
>
> Understand that I am really glad you think the poem brilliant and that you
> loved it. Also I greatly respect your critical faculty. However (he forms
> his hands into mental fists perhaps), having some regard for my own
> critical faculty, I disagree
>
> You charge that the final paragraph is
>
> too declarative
>
> out of 'mood' with the above
>
> tidy
>
> Point One. Too declarative for what or whom?
>
> & why is it *too declarative? The poem is full of declarative statements:-
>

> Usually all the religious icons have been smashed.
>
> [...]
>
> Winter is close: the flat extremities
>
> of the inhabitants cast low shadows
>
> [...]
>
> no one succeeds in communicating anything
>
> beyond malice.
>
> [...]
>
> There is too much salt in the soil for proper crops.
>
> There is too much sulphur in the air to breathe correctly;
>
> but a sniggering sort of laughter is permissible.
>
> [...]
>
> There is ample evidence that pepper sprays are only mildly carcinogenic
>
> and are not therefore greatly deleterious to health
>
> unless the target should be grossly asthmatic.
>
> [...]
>
> We must not be scared by the loss of one or two battles.
>
> [...]
>
> Everyone should have several of these in their wardrobe.
>
> [...]
>
> Everything combines to hinder or delay a new campaign.
>
> [...]
>
> The plan was hastily conceived.
>
> Some of them were self-assured;
>
> some of them tried to smile and look composed.
>
> None wanted to fight. None wanted to retreat. None wanted to die.
>
> They copied each others' identity papers and pretended
>
> to relationships they did not have.
>
> [...]
>
> None were well but most survived and all contained their rage
>
> until there should be some possibility of retribution.
>
> [...]
>
> The photographs do not do justice to this excellent piece.
>
> [...]
>
> the guns
>
> are in position and the population has been gradually led
>
> into the demoralising temptations of arcades,baths and banquets.
>

> Point Two.
>
> Regarding the mood, I hope that the above quotes will make it clearer that
> the mood of the voice and therefore presumably of the poem as a whole
> changes.
>
> There are mechanical reasons for that, which I have gone into on the list
> already, though the evidence is there: different sources for quotations for
> a start
>
> The last paragraph is fairly close to the voice when it is saying
>
> Cut out the sentimentality. Cut out

> [...]

Douglas Barbour

Recent publications: (With Sheila E Murphy) Continuations & Continuation 2 (UofAPress).
Recording Dates (Rubicon Press).

that we are only
as we find out we are

	Charles Olson