Hi Gunnar,

>> The relevant issue is not whether the printed pages are “appealing,” “attractive,” or “beautiful.” These qualities are worth considering, but they are not central.
>>
>> The relevant issue is whether the printed pages are legible, easy to read, and able to transmit the informational content to the reader.

in response to your comment, I cite an excerpt from one of the interviews in my thesis, in which two designers discuss the issue of what to wear at international typography conferences:

Isabel: It’s a minefield, and it’s not frivolous…because we’re communicators. And it’s important to be aware of in what way people are communicating, and there’s nothing worse than, you know, arriving in your high heels and a nice frock and everybody being in really nice cut jeans, you know. I think that’s worse than, you know, being overdressed at a wedding.
Veronica:     It’s like a kind of fear about sending out the wrong signal, I suppose.
Teena (naively): Well, I suppose in the end, we’re just people, but it’s an impression isn’t it?
Veronica: Yes, but I mean, at a typographic conference, that’s kind of like just saying, in the end they’re just words. But we’re there to talk about how the words are dressed. So signs and the reading of signs is what everybody’s profession is, you know.
Isabel: Yeah, but I do admire people who just don’t feel the need to signify at all.
Veronica: People who wear Helvetica.

While it may seem frivolous, coding signs for meaning-making (eg. dressing words) is what designers do, and not just graphic or visual communication designers.

teena