Hi Don,
Bringing offlist to onlist as you have already done.
You said it, ‘the unconscious is a state’.
A  'state' is a theory construct not real. You can make up any other theory that might acceptably represent what happens.
Consciousness is an ability, also a theory construct. Same issue. As a test, tease out the differences between consciousness and awareness.
All of this is differentiating between the map and the territory.  Calling something 'the unconscious' is drawing a sketch of what you perceive of something, it isn't the thing itself nor does there have to be a thing at all that correlates to idea  'the unconscious'.
Last week at Ken’s request, I sent him a few dozen Sanskrit terms and concepts that, from some Indian perspectives, cover the same territory as conscious/unconscious in a different kind of  detail and complexity than western psychology.  The perspective on the same issues is humancentred yet not centred on self-perception  and ego-centred (which is your position). It assumes self-perception is somewhat superficial and often deluded, and likewise much of the awareness from it. The fact that there are different conceptualisations of the same thing (Western and Indian) indicates they are in the theory realm rather than being in the physical. I.e they are different maps of the same territory. I follow Patanjali on this, and I wouldn't have regarded his work as behaviourist.
As for whether I exist and who I am; I have to answer like Chuang Tzu,  'I don't know' (and at least he didn't get asked about the source of emails)
Same issue. It's way too easy to get too obsessed by sense of self - and it leads to some messy creativity theories, including  concretising the conscious and unconscious.
Best wishes,
Terry

---
Dr Terence Love
PhD(UWA), BA(Hons) Engin. PGCEd, FDRS, AMIMechE, MISI
Director,
Love Services Pty Ltd
PO Box 226, Quinns Rocks
Western Australia 6030