Quick note, though I have no sources to quote at the moment:

"Agency" stems from the latin "augere" which means "to augment", supposedly to mean that the agent was someone who augmented the power and reach of Rome. I don't know why OED doesn't have that in their entry.
I will be back with the source if I can find it.

Best regards,

Carlos Pires

Design & New Media MFA // Communication Design PhD Student @ FBA-UL

Check the project blog: