Terry,

On 2014-09-23 15:36, Gunnar Swanson wrote:
- - - - - - - - - - - -

> How does any of this differ from the use of manufactured pencils and
> automatic pencil sharpeners rather that making one's own and
> sharpening it with a knife? The latter gives greater control and
> encourages a certain mindfulness but even fairly extreme advocates of
> handcraft don't tend to think it pulls human agency out from under the
> feet of pencilists. (Is there a gender-neutral replacement for
> "draughtsman"?)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I say Gunnar is on to something here.
Would you say even a brush pulls human agency out from the feet of
painters?
Control is in an inverse proportion to the number of bristles in the
brush.

As a side note about type specification, if you remember correctly, in
the good old days before DTP you only had a very limited number of type
sizes and styles. And leading was actually pieces of lead or wood, and
it couldn't be negative. There is more choice now.

But let us not stop there...
What about the techniques you got from other people? Is it your agency
or theirs operating there?
What about sensorimotor knowledge? If you are right-handed, I bet you
can't properly wash your teeth with your left hand, no matter how much
agency you put in there.

Talking about agency leaving out awareness leads brings up this kind of
issues.

Best regards,
---
Carlos P.