Hello- after looking through Paolo’s post on cat skulls, I came across this list of identification guides from the US Fisheries and Wildlife Service- some handy things here, on distinguishing bone from ivory, as well as an atlas of images of flight feathers of US birds (maybe also useful for anthropologists). There’s also a really good section on wildlife crime and forensics that might be interesting for educators.

http://www.fws.gov/lab/publications.php

ID notes are under the section on ‘morphology’. There are lots of references to genetics in relation to specimens in the section on genetics in ‘publications..

Best wishes,

Henry

Henry McGhie BSc MA AMA | Head of Collections and Curator of Zoology (Honorary Scientific Associate, Faculty of Life Sciences) | Manchester Museum | The University of Manchester | Oxford Road | Manchester | M13 9PL |  0161 275 2482 | www.manchester.ac.uk/museum | www.facebook.com/ManchesterMuseum | Follow us on Twitter @McrMuseum

Exhibitions: From the War of Nature, until 7 September 2014 | Whitworth Park: Pleasure, Play & Politics, until 5 October 2014

Designated as an Outstanding Collection

This year I am promoting biodiversity for the good of the environment and for people's well-being