Hi Danny

The Rijksmuseum’s Rijks Studio is a pretty good place to start - they have some great re-use projects to browse through: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/rijksstudio

Best
Bekka
_________________________________
Rebecca Kahn
PhD Candidate, Department of Digital Humanities, King’s College, London

On 1 Sep 2014, at 11:27, Birchall, Danny <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Good morning MCGlisters!

We all raise a mighty cheer when another massive tranche<http://blog.archive.org/2014/08/29/millions-of-historic-images-posted-to-flickr/> of nicely-licensed cultural heritage images are added in a usable form to the public domain. It's undoubtedly a good thing, and it's where such images belong. But I've been wondering recently how such material is used, other than in the commons image repositories to which they are added, and by people other than the organisations who put them there.

So I'm interested in finding  digital 'things' (websites, apps, projects, whatever) that make use of digitised cultural heritage material. I'm looking for things that are:

1) Publicly-available (though not necessarily free) and not primarily for academics
2) Use a significant amount of permissively-licensed digitised content from (preferably more than one) cultural heritage organisations
3) Aren't produced directly or indirectly by one of those organisations
4) Aren't designed to be any kind of guide to digitised collections, or crowdsource knowledge about them, but rather use them to do something else.

Almost the only thing that I can think of that does anything like this at the moment is the excellent Public Domain review (publicdomainreview.org<http://publicdomainreview.org><http://publicdomainreview.org/>), which publishes historical essays, curated collections and even a GIF gallery using public domain material, for a popular and generally interested audience. (There are also some 'Creative Projects' listed as part of the British Library's Flickr Commons project (blpublicdomain.wikispaces.com/Creative+Projects<http://blpublicdomain.wikispaces.com/Creative+Projects><http://blpublicdomain.wikispaces.com/Creative+Projects>) )

Am I missing lots of other good examples? Please tell me! (and I'll compile & recirculate a list).

If I'm not, and there are few other examples, then why? Are the images useful  in 'invisible' ways (classroom presentations, lecture slides) that can't easily be seen or listed? Or even just in 'traditional' ways like books (gasp!); or maybe Ugly Renaissance Babies<http://uglyrenaissancebabies.tumblr.com/> /  Medieval Beasts That Cannot Even Handle It Right Now<http://blog.archive.org/2014/08/29/millions-of-historic-images-posted-to-flickr/> represent the way digital cultural heritage images can (& should) be used.

This isn't to start an argument about the value of digital collections or online catalogues - I'm a true believer in that regard. I'm just genuinely interested in this particular kind of use case for digitised images

Thank you for any lights you can shed.

Danny

Danny Birchall
Digital Manager, Wellcome Collection
Wellcome Trust
Gibbs Building
215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK
Tele: +44 (0) 207 611 8894
email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.wellcomecollection.org<http://www.wellcomecollection.org><http://www.wellcomecollection.org> / @ExploreWellcome

This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Email Security - www.websense.com<http://www.websense.com>

      Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg