Hi Helen

We created an Archaeological Consultation Trigger Map for Darlington in 2012.

It took us a while, but I documented the process to some degree, as we were potentially going to have to do the same for the rest of the County (but that went away - be quiet or we might wake it up again...)

Essentially, we mashed together lots of our polygon layers to make bigger polygons - which included
SMs buffered by 50 metres
World Heritage Site
Registered Battlefield
Registered Parks and Gardens
Conservation areas
Local Parks and gardens of interest (produced by Landscape team)
HLC historic Cores of villages/towns
SHINE polygons
Wetland GIS polygons

These obviously overlapped in many cases so were just all merged into one big ACT layer.

We then Created two other layer - an additions layer and a subtractions layer. This was because if we edited the Mashed layer directly, if we updated it, we would need to re-edit it each time. However, by "storing" the edits in separate layers, we could automate the process a bit - ie create the Broad Mash layer add and subtract the relevant layers and job done.

To edit the Addition and Subtraction layers, as most of our HER data is points, we did some other stuff too

We did a cluster analysis - ICT generated some data of HER points within 100 metres of another point, the theory being that these might represent different parts of a larger site. We then filtered out the points already in the ACT layer and using other criteria eg Buildings were left out, as were a few other types of Monument such as  boundary stones. This left us with a list of records to check.

We also did some checking by types eg generated a list of broad site types which were much more likely to be more than just a point eg DMVs/SMVs, Cemeteries

Using the Cluster analysis and types list, we then manually checked the relevant HER record and determined if they needed to be included or not, and if they did on an individual basis edited/added polygons using info in reports etc into the relevant addition or subtraction layers.

It worked ok, though the manual analysis took a little time. However, we viewed this as a pilot for what we might have to do for the whole county, and based on the pilot, doing the whole county in this way would be time consuming but doable.

But thinking about the whole County, another thing we considered (but didn't need to do for Darlo) was that we might focus developing the maps on the areas with most development/planning applications first.

Finally, we did ponder a bit on updating. And in theory this would be done annually, in practice it hasn't been. But the thought was largely along the lines of if we added more SHINE records, or more SMs (or Conservation areas etc) were created we would mash them into the layer using the automatic process. We could also add or subtract bits in the relevant layers as information on sites was updated.

How well it works in terms of Consultation you would need to ask my DM colleagues, but that's how we created it

Hope that's helps

Best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer