I’ve checked with one of our archivists (they have their uses) and there is an exemption from the data protection act for material of historical interest. When you think about it, this has to be the case or all the material in record offices would have to be thrown away (discuss). Unless the people were dead. So you’d have to throw it away until they were dead. Eh?

One of her colleagues who knows the act better can provide details but is away until Thursday. Let me know if you want me to find out – or just throw that back at your data protection person as they will know about it instantly(?!)

When I checked with our previous data protection person (now with EH), she said there were no issues with the HER but that we shouldn’t publish people’s details (ie no addresses on the website).

Chris Webster

Somerset Historic Environment Record

Somerset Heritage Centre

Brunel Way