Hello,

This is just a reminder that there are still places available on the GEM Twilight event on young people and employment at the V&A next Friday 3rd October.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Jenny

Dear all,

Please find below booking information for the first of our autumn GEM London Twilight sessions. We look forward to seeing you there.

GEM London

What is our role in helping young people into employment?

Victoria and Albert Museum, Learning Centre, Seminar Room 1

Friday 3rd October

18.30 - 20.00

£5 for GEM members, £15 for non-members

With over 15% of 16-24 year olds currently unemployed, how can museums help young people improve their chances of getting paid employment?  Is it our role?  Does it only fall on the museum educator to offer opportunities?  What sort of opportunities do we / could we offer?  What practical things can we do?  In this twilight session we’ll hear from learning practitioners from three organisations who will share their experiences, plus a chance to take part in group discussions and hear about the latest findings. There will also be drinks and networking after the presentations.

Speakers will include:

Rose Cronin, Young People's Programmes Assistant and NEET Project Coordinator National Portrait Gallery, will talk about developing a toolkit for engaging NEET young people through practical photography, creating sustainable progression routes for young people.

A member from London Transport Museum’s Learning Department, will explain the Young People’s Skills programme, and how it engages young people to explore different pathways of work, cultivating key skills relevant to employers and developing a proactive attitude towards their future careers.

David Judd from the V&A, Creative Projects Manager for Learning, will cover the career focused social inclusion work and workshops run for young people at the V&A, including ‘Making it: Careers in Art and Design’ an annual event of talks, taster workshops and advice, for 16-24 years olds interested in the creative industries.

The V&A is open till 22.00 on Fridays, to find out what else is on that evening at the museum http://www.vam.ac.uk/whatson/events/day/20141003/

For directions of how to get to the Learning Centre please go to http://www.vam.ac.uk/page/e/education-centre/

To book please go to http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/gem-london-what-is-our-role-in-helping-young-people-into-employment-tickets-13197681621

Best wishes

Jenny Wedgbury

Acting Programme Manager - Families

Learning Department

020 7942 2598

Victoria and Albert Museum

Cromwell Road

London

SW7 2RL

Constable: The Making of a Master
20 September 2014 - 11 January 2015 at V&A South Kensington
Book now on www.vam.ac.uk/constable
See the exhibition for free if you join as a V&A Member www.vam.ac.uk/members

Day Dreams and Diaries, the Story of Jacqueline Wilson
5 April – 2 November 2014 at V&A Museum of Childhood
Admission free

Keep in touch
Sign up for V&A e-newsletters www.vam.ac.uk/signup
Become a fan on Facebook.com/VictoriaandAlbertMuseum
Follow us on Twitter.com/V_and_A

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message.
All information or opinions expressed in this message and/or any attachments are those of the author and are not necessarily those of The Victoria and Albert Museum or its affiliates.
The Victoria and Albert Museum accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from its use, including damage from virus. Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 2RL, Tel: 0207 942 2000