Hi,

I would avoid using nearestneighbour in this case, and instead use trilinear and then threshold the output appropriately (which is probably going to be a small threshold, as your mask is probably thin if it is disappearing).  Have a look at the result from the trilinear resampling to get a feeling for what would be an appropriate threshold.

All the best,
Mark