I've created a couple of examples, I guess it will aid diagnosing:

-> The first schedule is here:
https://gist.github.com/oesteban/8c93a6553125d17c8990

Basically, I remove the standard 8mm scale (and I think that for very small
translations/rotations even the 4mm could be removed). I also increased the
smoothing at each level.

-> The second schedule is here:
https://gist.github.com/oesteban/6e3d8777d4e1ea728f17

In this case, it is pretty much the same as before, but now I add the
option 'setoption paramsubset 1  0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1' in order to only
optimize scalings and skews.

My problem is that this language is a bit difficult to understand.
Basically I'm testing by chance.

I think that, when one inserts the optimise command, the 'amount' of
transformation is controlled by the last part (something of this kind: 'rel
4') but I'm not sure of the implications of this parameter.

e.g. optimise 7 UA:1-4  1.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0  rel 4

I'm also unsure about the first schedule, around the end, when it tries
again the identity transform. I'm not sure this is taken into account
(these copy U UA commands are quite obscure to me, sorry).

Thank you so much

Best wishes,
Oscar

*Oscar Esteban*
PhD Student / Researcher

Biomedical Image Technologies (BIT), UPM
ETSI Telecomunicación Lab. C203, Av. Complutense s/n - E-28040 Madrid
(Spain)
+34 915 495 700 ext.4234

Signal Processing Laboratory (LTS5), EPFL-STI-IEL-LTS5
ELD 224 (Bâtiment ELD), Station 11, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland