Do you have a great idea for collaboration or want to collaborate on great ideas?

!!!!THEN BRAINHACK IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!!!!

Brainhack is a unique conference that convenes researchers, artists, and members of industry from across the globe and a myriad of disciplines to work together on innovative projects broadly related to neuroscience. Year after year, global Brainhack events have brought together researchers to participate in open collaboration resulting in new ideas, relationships, and publications.

Brainhack Eastern Daylight Time (EDT; http://brainhack.org/brainhack-edt/) will unite several regional Brainhack events during October 18 & 19, 2014. Having several simultaneous events will help build a critical mass for the regional Brainhack movement and provide opportunities for inter-Brainhack collaboration. The Boston Brainhack will be held at the McGovern Institute for Brain Research at MIT and is additionally supported by Siemens and Amazon.

The Boston Brainhack aims to foster local collaborations across the diverse neuroscience interests and institutions in the Boston area.

The three most common questions:

Q. What happens at a brainhack?

A. Think of it as a maker space for neuroscientists. Neuroscience is a complex, multidisciplinary field with many unknowns. It is often the case that no individual’s expertise is enough to tackle research questions that can encompass physics, mathematics, modeling, statistics, art, etc. These events serve to catalyze collaboration across individuals from different disciplines, create local connections, and promote “thinking outside the box”. The events also increase awareness of new and changing technologies around us as neuroscience move towards data and computationally intensive approaches. Most importantly it is the social human spirit that brings together people to share in efforts to solve problems together. If you have a scientific problem, then the Boston Brainhack can help you solve it. Think of it like a conference, but instead of talking about solutions, actually sitting down and implementing them.

Q. I am new to the field or don’t know how to code, can I still come?

A. Yes! At any level or from any discipline you can make significant contributions. At Brainhack you will both learn and contribute. If you want to know how to code in a specific program, please let us know and we’ll do our best to facilitate the learning process. If you are in a different field and want to hear about neuroscience problems, come on over.

Q. What do I need to do to prepare?

A. Here are a few tips

1. To help us get a rough headcount, please sign up at: http://goo.gl/tMfwa2

2. Consider questions or ideas you would like to work on at Brainhack

3. Post project ideas or become a member of a project:

http://brainhack.org/brainhack-edt/

4. Bring tools, data or just enthusiasm on October 18th and 19th.

5. Start chatting at: https://gitter.im/satra/brainhackEDT/~chat#initial

    or posting questions at: http://neurostars.org (tag with Brainhack)

We look forward to seeing everyone at the McGovern Institute.

Sincerely,

The Boston Brainhack Committee

Donald G McLaren, MGH/HMS

Satra Ghosh, MIT