Hi,

This case is covered under "Two-Group Difference Adjusted for Covariate" in the GLM section of the FSL wiki.  It doesn't matter that the covariate is gender.

The way you've specified things in your email isn't the usual way of accounting for gender - where we would normally just add a single covariate that contained a demeaned set of values indicating gender (e.g. +1 and -1 if the groups were balanced, or +0.5 and -0.5 as the magnitude is arbitrary). However, as long as you are using correct contrasts then you can use your 4 EV version if you prefer.  You should not put zeros in the columns related to gender if you just want to account for (or correct for) gender.  So contrasts of 1 -1 0 0 and -1 1 0 0 would be what you want for the 4 EV matrix model. If you used a 3 EV model instead (where the third column was a demeaned version of gender) then just drop the last entry in these contrast vectors.

All the best,
	Mark