Dear FSL experts,

In TBSS, I would like to run randomise using gender as a covariate. I'm having some confusion regarding the design.con file and how that needs to be set up. To provide context, I included an example of my design.mat file.

This is an example of my current design.mat setup (without all 79 participants included).

/NumWaves	4
/NumPoints 	79
/PPheights	        1    1
/Matrix

EV1 (Controls)	EV2 (Patients)	EV3 (Males)	EV4 (Females
1                        0                     1                       0
1                        0                     1                       0
1                        0                     0                       1
1                        0                     0                       1
0                        1                     0                       1
0                        1                     1                       0
0                        1                     1                       0
0                        1                     0                       1

In my design.con file, I currently have:
/NumWaves		4
/NumContrasts  	        2
/PPheights		        1    1
/Matrix

1	-1
-1	1

The design.mat and design.con file were created when I first ran TBSS without covariates. I want to now see if my findings hold when I account for gender, so in the design.mat file I added EV3 and EV4 (as shown above). Since the NumWaves is now 4 in the.mat and .con files, I believe I need to have something like this in the design.con file:

EV1	EV2	EV3	EV4
1	-1	1	1
-1	1	-1	-1

Would this be the correct way to format the.mat and the .con file to run randomise with two groups and a covariate of gender?

My apologies if this has been asked before, but in researching this on the mailing list, the FSL Wiki page on randomise, or tutorials from other labs, I haven't really found a sufficiently clear answer to my question.

As always, thank you for your help!

Best,
Victor