Hello fellow practitioners
I'm an ESOL Practitioner with the Workers Educational Association in the North East of Scotland.  I teach Workplace ESOL to mainly fish factory workers.  Using the Social Practice Approach I teach everyday English not just workplace based English.  I do no teach using a specified curriculum. The learners choose topics they want to learn, with me fitting in the appropriate level of grammar where it occurs naturally.  These evening classes are free and we recruit mainly via the factories themselves and the local community centre.  My colleagues and I have noticed that since we have started these classes (4yrs ago) that we have many men register for our classes then one or two sessions later, they disappear!  We have always had good female retention, with female learners often staying with us for 3 or 4 years.  I'd like to do an action research project on 'How to retain adult male ESOL learners' and was wondering if anyone knew of any relevant literature I could have access to? I am no longer a student at Aberdeen Uni therefore have no access to academic articles etc.
Also, would anyone like to join me in a small or large peer group that I can bounce ideas off, reflect on my sessions and generally share the knowledge I gain from this experience?

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
To contact the list owner, send an email to