From: The English Place-Name List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anthony Appleyard
Sent: 27 September 2014 06:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Portchester & Portum Adurni

Martin Counihan <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:-

> In the root "uern-", "marsh", the u (or v) is a consonant and the vowel is e.

> As far as I can see, all the placenames derived from this preserve the vowel as "e".

> To get "adurn-" out of it would be quite a stretch.

I thought that Celtic "uerno-" meant "alder" (a tree), or "swampy alder forest". If so, this land was salt-free and out of reach of tides when the Celts came.

The area round the Isle of Wight, like nearly Holland, has been affected by slow gradual forebulge sinking, and it is possible to believe Diodorus Siculus's report that in his time men could wade to the Isle of Wight at low tide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Forebulge_sinking

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Solent

Land could be subsided AND eroded :: as the area sank through the tide range, wave action removed the loose surface soil and subsoil.

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Visit the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council website at www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk