Excellent Sarah. And when you do, tell us all about the broad coalition of progressive forces that are behind the YES campaign - this is FAR FAR FAR from a Salmond-led movement. It is broad, it is progressive, it moves well beyond narrow nationalist interests and is attempting to articulate an alternative. It may not be successful (even if a yes vote would get up, every struggle has to be fought beyond this one). But it marks change for progressive reasons. And that can only be good.  I'm not a Scot, but having once lived there part of me still calls Scotland home. And I'm a fervent despiser of all things nationalist and jingoistic. If I was in Scotland, I'd be voting YES.

Look forward to hearing your analysis Sarah, and others on the ground  in Scotland.
Libby

On 19 September 2014 00:01, sarah glynn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Not posted on this as much too busy campaigning for YES. Just sitting down for a minute between climbing tenement stairs. Plan to write about it properly later - from an independent Scotland.

Sent from my Windows Phone

From: Hillary Shaw
Sent: ‎18/‎09/‎2014 14:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Scottish independence vote

Don't think anyone's mentioned the poll results in last weeks Times Higher (11 September 2013, pp.6-7).  Humanties and social scientists narrowly back YES; scientists and engineers solidly back NO. Chimes with the idea that the head votes NO but the heart votes YES (heard that on the news recently). Scottish academics generally back NO, except in Glasgow University. Maybe that's why the THE maps puts GU in the rather less affluent and definitely university-less community of Port Glasgow, seeing as Scottish manual workers appear to back YES.

If I was a Scot and thinking of voting YES (I'm neither, despite being a social scientist) what would disturb me is the question of would Scotland be in the EU?  If it wouldn't, its world influence would be rather small, a country of 5m people only about twice the size of Lithuania. If it will be in the EU, a centralising organisation, its
influence would be rather small, a country of 5m people only about twice the size of Lithuania.

And if Scotland secedes, will the Shetlands, who have little more affection for Salmond, his Inverurie constituency,or Edinburgh than they do for London, want to secede from Scotland? (Re)join Norway? What will that do to the SNP oil revenue forecasts? Welcome to Shetlandland and Orkneyia, twinned with Brunei.

Oh well, less than 24 hours till we know.......

Dr Hillary J. Shaw
Director and Senior Research Consultant
Shaw Food Solutions
Newport
Shropshire
TF10 8NB
www.fooddeserts.org

--
Dr Libby Porter
Senior Lecturer in Human Geography

Interested in progressive planning and critical urban action?
Visit
Planners Network UK at www.pnuk.org.uk, or Planners Network at plannersnetwork.org, or
the
International Network for Urban Research and Action, at www.inura.org

Get all the latest planning scholarship from Planning Theory and Practice,
see
www.tandfonline.com/toc/rptp20/current