From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Osmond, Matthew
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 2:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Purpose of life?

I'm curious about the use, below, of 'purpose'.

These (first two) principles sound to me more like functions than purposes.

To observe that living beings cling to their own survival, and by extension to their own propagation, seems offer rather little in the way of 'purpose'.

Perhaps the notion of purpose might help us to approach the mysterious fact of our own collective passivity before a mass extinction of life, including our own.

One might almost say that civilised human beings - collectively anyway - appear to be none too bothered about their lives continuing for much longer. Nor is that said derisively. Am I wrong in equating purpose with motivation? Either way, its curious to observe our culture's lack of motivation around its own (apparently) approaching extinction.

I think that its worth asking why such a motivation might be lacking, at least as much as it's worth trying to rally some sudden last-minute recovery of it.

Mat Osmond