Thanks for all the suggestions.  I think my issue is because I have a QuadroFX1400 video card and I don’t have proper drivers - the generic ones just won’t do it.

I have tried and failed miserably to install the proprietary drivers from NVidea, so I’m not going to worry about it.  I only use chimera to make figures, and I can do that on my MAC easy enough.

If any of you have an easy to follow guide on disabling nouveau drivers I’d appreciate it - but no worries if you don’t.

Thanks again

Dave