Andreas, you probably know all this, but I only understood quite recently.  What happens is that as ice crystals form you get "brine rejection", the same thing that happens in the arctic when sea water freezes.  Therefore you can have protein concentrated in pockets of high salt.  Fine for some proteins, but others don't like it.  And it can happen during (slow) thawing as well as during freezing.  - Patrick