I have experience with some proteins that don't tolerate freeze-thawing
very well. It's hard to say exactly what the physical chemistry of this
is, but it probably relates to (1) aggregation due to high concentration
or protein or salts during the freezing process as water is removed,
and/or (2) pH shifts due to changes in pKa of buffers/proteins as the
temperature is lowered. Usually freezing in whole cells is less
problematic than freezing purified protein solutions, but there are no
absolutes. One protein we worked on could only be stabilized from cradle
to grave in 20% glycerol, 100 mM DTT, and 4 deg C. Would not tolerate
freezing, ever. Not even in cell pellets. Died at 25 deg C in a couple
of hours--had to work quickly to do kinetics. Worst...protein...to work
on...ever.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett