Heterodox Economics Newsletter

Issue 168 September 01, 2014 web pdf Heterodox Economics Directory

This month I attended two quite different events, which nonetheless dealt with quite similar topics.

Early this August I have been invited to Berlin to take part in a great and refreshing event dedicated to "Pluralism in Economics" and organized by the Macroeconomic Policy Institute (IMK) at the Hans Boeckler Foundation in cooperation with the German network of pluralist students. Interest in the event has been overwhelming so, despite all intentions to the contrary, the selection of participants has been highly competitive simply due to lack of space. Anyway, the result was a really great conference with a lot of interested and dedicated young people from various backgrounds aiming to transform economics. In retrospect, I wanted to say many thanks to the organizers and all of the participants for making this vivid event possible.

Late this August I was invited at the European Forum Alpbach, which is basically a mixture between a conservative think-tank and a three-week meet&greet business party hosted in a Tyrolean mountain village (no lake there, so no direct link to Vevey...;-). Interestingly, they hosted a session on "Inequality before and after the Crisis" in cooperation with the Austrian Chamber of Labor featuring, among others, Branko Milanovic (UC NY). I had the honor of chairing this session and was positively inspired to see the conservative political side taking issue with inequality (note: Piketty has merit in this) - although even some not-so-radical suggestions to tackle rising inequality, like e.g. the introduction of an inheritance tax, caused funny reactions, reaching from rising eye-brows to sheer astonishment and paralysis, among a whole series of participants.

After an August full of events I look forward to an even tighter September, which starts today with the publication of your favorite Newsletter!

All the Best!

Jakob

© public domain

Table of contents