The problem here, actually, is that peripheral de-iodination from T4 to T3 becomes less efficient with ageing, and so it is inappropriate to use the same reference intervals for T4 in the over-60's as we do for the rest of the population. This is in the literature, but generally ignored. Older subjects need more T4 to make the same amount of T3. They also may have pituitary insensitivity to feedback control (everything wears out as you get older, believe me) and hence are less likely to elicit a TSH response to inadequate thyroid hormone production.

Comments about the staggering incompetence and arrogance of lab staff when dealing with the problems of actual people do ring a bell, but I must agree that T3 measurement adds nothing to the diagnostic process, except when you encounter hyperthyroidism with normal T4 levels.

Finally, I've seen a case just like the one Tim describes. She had a sub-total thyroidectomy after a thyroid storm and sustained a TSH of c. 360 for 6 months (after which it came down). I used her serum as a control for years afterwards!

Nick Miller
London