Whilst there are some patients who are mad there are some that really do
seem to need T3. I have one patient (age 22) whose TSH remains > 100. On
doses of up to 500mg of T4 there was no change but when given T3, she
lost weight and began to resume normal activities [she can even make it
to clinic on time now instead of turning up 3 hours late]. Even now on
T3 her TSH has not dropped much but the obviously symptomatic
hypothyroidism has resolved and she is much better. Biochemistry does
not always give the right answers...

**************
Prof. Tim Reynolds
Consultant Chemical Pathologist / Clinical Director - Diagnostics / R&D
Lead,
Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
work tel: 01283 511511 ext 4035
work fax: 01283 593064
work email: [log in to unmask]
work URL: www.burtonhospitals.nhs.uk
This e-mail, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and
If you are not the intended recipient please destroy this message,
delete any copies held on your systems, and notify the sender
immediately. You should not retain copy or use this e-mail for any
purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other
person. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me on
01283 511511 Ext 4035

[Picture of tree not available] Please consider the environment before
printing this e-mail