Many thanks, Valerie.

Do you mean Anaar Nino, the dancer?  (If so, she is a good friend of one of my old magical students, Laura Tempest Zakroff, and she presided over Tempest's hand-fasting to her new husband.)  I am delighted to hear that someone has been lookin for other traces of that group, and children of its members should know more than anyone else now living!!!

I'd very much like to see a solid *historical* study of Victor's early life and the magical influences on him.  I'm not the one who should do it, simply because I've been on  the East Coast since 1967.  But I would be happy to cooperate with anyone who might undertake it.  I know a fair amount about the magical background on the West Coast in the days when Victor was a young man, from working on the origins and history of my own family's magical pantheism in the Bay Area.

From the very little I know of his Witchcraft, Victor must have been quite widely read since a fairly young age, back in the early days when a wood-be magician or Witch cobbled together whatever magical techniques s\he could hunt up in writers on other subjects (usually religious or anthropological): William B. Seabrook, Max Freedom Long, William Walker Atkinson, Charles G Leland, Theodore Besterman, Emma Hardinge Britten, Mary Baker Eddy, Emile Grillot de Givry, Bronislaw Malinowski, and so forth.

I have no doubt that the group Victor mentioned, the Harpies, really existed.  The West had quite a number of women who called themselves Witches and invented, or cobbled together, Witchcrafts of their own devising back in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s.  So far as I can tell, the prevailing style back then was solitary -- but human nature being what it is, there should also have been a few self-formed groups of like-minded Witches -- a few of which may even have called themselves covens.  Most of them lived and died on the West Coast, and had little influence on the East.  Robert A. Heinlein's second wife, Leslyn Macdonald, was a good example; we know a bit more about her now than about most of the others.

Somehow I never could think of Starhawk as Feri, though I have heard she studied for a while with Victor, and now has made that a standard talking point of her own biography.  (She wrote somewhere. quite a long time ago, that she came to Witchcraft through Z Budapest at Feminist Wicca, before she had met Victor and Cora.)  When I read her books, I saw influences everywhere of the New Thought, "mind-over-matter" techniques that were popular on the West Coast in her mother's and my grandmother's generation; but her main interest seemed to always to have been progressive activism.  She did, however, greatly change the look and feel of Witchcraft after her first wonderfully written book -- IMHO, not always for the better.  In any case, she's a good example of the influence one powerful writer can have on an entire era or movement.

As for books, other than a strictly historical study, I am in complete agreement.  "Words get in the way."  They particularly get in the way when it is a question of magic, spirituality or mysticism.   There are better and surer ways to Wisdom than through many words.

Thanks for responding so fully.  It's very interesting.

Robert