There is not very much done in this area, as Angela and others have noted. The topic -- and indeed the whole broader question of the Platonic revival and the transformation of Western music -- is of considerable importance, but few scholars seem to have recognized this (or been able to deal with the sources).

Gary Tomlinson is brilliant, but the magic book is his weakest by a fair margin. I've started into the area, mostly working a bit later, but I've not published much on it yet. Angela and Penelope Gouk you know. There is an excellent book by H. Floris Cohen, referenced quite a bit by Gouk, which examines the mathematical end of the problem (note that Galileo Galilei's father Vincenzo was an important theorist and composer).

I would suggest digging into the work of Claude Palisca, who was for a long time at Yale. He laid the best extant groundwork for the kind of study you're interested in. Look up every lead you find in the latest Grove Online, and see what's been done more recently. You will certainly need to know a good deal about music history and a little theory, but your question is posed such that it looks like you have this.

Last but not least, I'd be interested in discussing the problem with you off-list; these days I'm best reached at [log in to unmask]

Yours,
Chris Lehrich