Hello!

I am trying to use scanner site as a covariate in a regression model. There are multiple sites, and when I tried using a matrix, it would not let me do that. I'm guessing you can only have 1 number per subject. So is the solution to have a covariate for each site and use 0/1 coding?

I.e. if subject one is site 1, subject two is site 2, and subject 3 is site 3, you would have 3 covariates that looked like this:
Covariate 1
1
0
0

Covariate 2
0
1
0

Covariate 3
0
0
1

Also, generally in a regression model, you use one of the variables as a reference so do you need to do that or does SPM do that for you?