Recently, while transcribing the Carrington 'Extracta' of Carrie Kipling's diaries, I cam to the entry for 1 October 1903, which read:

"Five Nations published.  Reviews favourable except political enemies.  A better appreciation of the aim of the volume than R had hoped for."

I e-mailed our member Mary Hamer who annotated the volume for the NRG saying:

"I thought I would see if there was, anywhere on the Internet, a readily available copy or copies of any of the reviews.  I tried for The Times, but that paper had initiated the Times Literary Supplememnt (TLS) only the year before, and the review of The Five Nations was published therein on 2 October.  Unfortunately, the archive of the TLS is not available to individuals, and my County Library doesn't subscribe (though it does to The Times).

    But I did find, and now attach for your interest, I hope, a review dated 1 December 1903 in the Atlantic Monthly, written by its editor, one Bliss Perry, who was a well-known American literary critic (forgive me - you may know of him - I didn't)

    Some time soon, I will get hold of the relevant copy of Punch who, I bet, reviewed it from a throroughly middle-class point of view."

    So earlier thia week I got hold of the relevant copy of Punch
(some of our younger overseas members may not be aware that Punch magazine was the great mirror of the British middle classes from 1841 until it finally gave up the ghost after a long decline in 1992), and now reproduce what Punxh  wrote.  It wasn't in the normal run of their book reviews  (a regular feature, and usually serious, though brief and pretty superficial), but appeared as a separate article - the author was not identified.

LOST MASTERPIECES

(Mr. Punch’s own Collection)

(from Punch, October 11, 1903)

            The appearance of Mr. KIPLINGs new volume of poems entitled THE FIVE NATIONS has of course directed public attention to his work at the moment.  Any hitherto unpublished fragments of verse from his pen will therefore be particularly interesting just now.  Fortunately, Mr. Punch’s collection of Lost Masterpieces includes two of these.  The history of these fragments is so interesting that it is worth relating in detail.

            It will be remembered that when ‘Recessional’ (which, by the by, is now republished in The Five Nations) was first printed and at once achieved the widest popularity, a story went the round of the Press that Mr. KIPLING himself had so entirely failed to gauge the merit of the poem that he had actually thrown it into the waste paper basket.  From this it was rescued by chance by one of the poet’s family, who at once recognised its merit and urged its publication.  But for that rescuing hand, ‘Recessional’ might have been lost to the world for ever.

            Spurred to energetic action by this story, and determined to prevent the possible loss of further masterpieces to the world, Mr. Punch has recently employed a trusty agent to ferret from time to time in Mr. KIPLINGs waste paper basket.  He had not, alas, been fortunate enough to salvage another ‘Recessional’, but he has secured two interesting and characteristic fragments which might well have been intended to appear in THE FIVE NATIONS.

            One of them is part of a barrack room ballad in Mr. KIPLINGs most rollicking vein.  The chorus is written in italics, why, it is impossible to say, but Mr. KIPLING’s verse very often does start off in italics for no very clear reason.  Here is the fragment.

MARCHIN’ ORDERS

‘Ere’s luck to the bloomin’ reg’ment!  ‘Ere’s luck to the ‘ole brigade!

‘Ere’s luck to the British Army!  Fix bay’nits.  ‘Oo’s afraid?

            Up boys, off boys.  Fourteen thousan’ strong,

            Fourteen thousan’, ‘orse an’ foot, singin’ this ghastly song!

            ‘Tisn’t a bloomin’ anthim.  ‘T’ain’t what you’d call refined.

            But Tommy’s all right.  ‘E’s tipsy tonight.  An’ ‘e don’t mind!

            Why Mr. KIPLING decided against including this spirited stave in his new volume will never be known.  Perhaps it did not fit in with the generally sombre character of most of its contents.

            The second fragment is more serious in tone, and from internal evidence Mr. Punch is inclined to think that it was originally intended to be cabled to the Times.  It may be about Mr. BRODRICK’s  Army scheme, but it may only be a plea for Preferential Tariffs for the Colonies.  It is always difficult to see what KIPLING’s Muse is really driving at:-

None shall arise to help you, none shall come to your aid,

When your Princes pale for terror and the People are sore afraid.

Ye shall be slaves and bondmen, ye shall be bought and sold,

Yea in the open market they shall buy your sons for gold.

Tempests shall sink your shipping, founder it far and wide,

From Land’s End to the Orkneys, from Portland Bill to the Clyde

Ye shall hide your bloodless faces, ye shall tremble and turn to flight,

When the Star of War, like a comet, flares full on your fields by night.

Riddled with all diseases, wrecked past hope shall ye be,

Ruined beyond redemption unless ye listen to ME!

I thought it was all rather fun, so Ithought I'd share it with the mailbase.

Alastair Wilson
(Sorry if the founts and type size are a bit erratic - my computes has gone all independent on me!