On 22 Aug 2014, at 2:50 pm, Terence Love <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This is easily identified in terms of design practices. I'd suggest the burden of proof for those from Art and Design is to identify ANY aspects of design theory that have been  developed in the Art and Design realms before they were identified in engineering design. Can you think of any, and provide evidence?

Stephanie,
I do not intend to get drawn into this debate and its attendant spirals of pointless abstraction. Nor do I think there is any point in engaging with Terry's prejudices about Art and Design. I'd just like to remind this list of an historical footnote that I have mentioned before. You might find it useful in your research on the origins of design thinking and design research.

I'm quoting from an epaper on our web site which provides an overview of information design.
http://communication.org.au/product/information-design-an-overview/

> Design thinking
> The advances in ideas and processes which information
> designers use derive in part from other design disciplines
> such as architecture, town planning, product design and
> graphic design. In the 1930s, design educators and
> thinkers such as Moholy-Nagy were beginning to
> articulate a distinctive design point of view:
>>> Design has many connotations. It is the
>>> organisation of materials and processes in the
>>> most productive, economic way, in a harmonious
>>> balance of all elements necessary for a certain
>>> function. it is not a matter of facade, of mere
>>> external appearance; rather it is the essence
>>> of products and institutions, penetrating and
>>> comprehensive. Designing is a complex and
>>> intricate task. It is the integration of technological,
>>> social and economic requirements, biological
>>> necessities, and the psychophysical effects of
>>> materials, shape, colour, volume, and space:
>>> thinking in relationships. (Moholy-Nagy 1938)
> At the heart of this point of view is a recognition that
> design takes place in a complex social and material
> environment and that good design involves taking
> account of many factors to arrive at a successful
> outcome. Moreover, to create artefacts that will
> work well in these complex environments—whether
> these artefacts are buildings, towns, websites, or
> medicine information—requires a specific set of
> intellectual skills and craft methods, Moholy-Nagy’s
> ‘thinking in relationships’.

> Moholy-Nagy L 1938
> The New Vision: Fundamentals of design, printing, sculpture,
> architecture (Trans: Hoffman D M)
> New York: Norton

Warm Regards,

David
--

blog: http://communication.org.au/category/blog-david-sless-soap-box/
web: http://communication.org.au

Professor David Sless BA MSc FRSA
CEO • Communication Research Institute •
• helping people communicate with people •

Mobile: +61 (0)412 356 795
Phone: +61 (0)3 9005 5903
Skype: davidsless

60 Park Street • Fitzroy North • Melbourne • Australia • 3068