> It feels that there's is a big disconnection between innovative / trendy areas of open education and the coal-face work of outreach and implementation. I guess that's the conclusion of the article above. I'd be interested to know more about projects working to address this.

I feel there is a real problem with statements like this though.

Are innovative / trendy areas not also implementation? Are they not "coalface" enough? Seems the use of coalface suggests a criticism that other work isn't proper work?

So I could say, I've run two MOOCs, and helped build some infrastructure for a third, bug fixed a fourth. The two MOOCs took open education to over 50,000 people, require(d) support every day - evenings and weekends. Feels pretty full on to me, but then that's my judgement. I wouldn't disparage something else until I had walked in its shoes.

If the argument is, a lot of academia tends to theory and not praxis, that's true in almost all parts of it. OER research will be no different. Inevitably as research tends to need to be new to be published or funded, academia will inherently move on to new areas, MOOCs being one. OER research, where funded is obvious to meet certain funding aims or goals, so the area in which that work is applied may not give time or scope for engaging and outreach.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Marieke Guy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It feels that there's is a big disconnection between innovative / trendy areas of open education and the coal-face work of outreach and implementation. I guess that's the conclusion of the article above. I'd be interested to know more about projects working to address this.

Yes!

This is something I've been talking about off-list - trying to engage teachers - or basically meet teachers in the spaces where they are working. See this post on why teachers aren't using OER in Germany: http://education.okfn.org/open-education-germany/

There is an initiative in the UK that is doing this:
http://lccdigilit.our.dmu.ac.uk/2014/05/12/understanding-open-educational-resources-information-for-schools/
The plan is to educate teachers so they can use OER more effectively. Bjorn who works on the project was involved with http://oer.educ.cam.ac.uk/wiki/ORBIT and http://oer.educ.cam.ac.uk/wiki/OER4Schools

Marieke