Dear OER colleagues,

Please help spread the word to students and early career researchers interested in openness that applications are now open for OpenCon 2014 (November 15-17 in Washington, DC). The conference is the first event of its kind, providing three days of talks, workshops and in-the-field advocacy training for the next generation of advocates for Open Access, Open Education and Open Data. Full announcement below.

Sponsorship opportunities are still available. One that may interest you is sponsoring an individual student or early career researcher of your choice to attend. The cost is $1,500 and includes the conference fee, lodging and up to $1,000 in travel expenses. Please contact me at [log in to unmask] if you are interested.

Thanks for your help activating the next generation of open advocates! (and apologies for cross posting)

Cheers,
Nicole

Applications to attend OpenCon 2014 in Washington, DC from November 15-17 are officially open!

Students and early career researchers can apply now at www.opencon2014.org/apply. The application form includes the option to apply for a travel scholarship, which will be awarded to many accepted participants.

Organized by the Right to Research Coalition and SPARC, OpenCon 2014 is the student and early career researcher conference on Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data and will be held on November 15-17, 2014 in Washington, DC. The meeting will convene students and early career researchers from around the world and serve as a powerful catalyst for projects led by the next generation of scholars and researchers to advance OpenCon's three focus areas

Applications will remain open for 3 weeks—until the end of the day on August 25th. However, we strongly encourage you to apply early. Acceptance decisions will begin to be made immediately, and if you will need a visa to travel to the United States, an early acceptance decision could give you more time to successfully apply for a US visa.

We’re also excited to announce our first OpenCon 2014 speakers, including Dr. Philip Bourne, the Associate Director for Data Science at the United States National Institutes of Health, and John Wilbanks, the Chief Commons Officer at Sage Bionetworks and 2012 TED Global Presenter. You can find more details on the program at www.opencon2014.org/program

Nicole Allen
Director of Open Education
SPARC, the Scholarly Publishing &
Academic Resources Coalition