“Video Games in the Museum”

Dear New Media Curating,

I have received the email from "Curating digital art" about "Video Games in the Museum" I am very interested in, and I would like to join to the project if you can. First of all, I would like to introduce myself and research interests.

I am Majed Balela, I am a 2nd year PhD in Digital Media student in Arts and New Media at the University of Hull, United Kingdom. My research is focused on the representation of culture within video games. The purpose of the research is to investigate how culture is represented within video game contexts and to understand the processes through which this representation is achieved. Part of this process has involved analysis of existing games containing cultural elements but a key part of the process is to gain an understanding directly from designers/developers about how culture is designed and embedded within video game contexts. The outcome from this research should be a practical model (formal process for representation of cultural artifact in video games) to inform the process through which cultural artifacts are designed and delivered within video games. This model will be beneficial for developers and designers providing a structured way or process to represent culture.

Majed Balela
PhD Student
School of Art and New Media
University of Hull