Dear George,
I would never claim that any "correct" art historical perspective might be "misconceived" from any other historical perspective!  Baschet was certainly trying to push methodological limits but, like you, not every art historian would jump on board with everything he offers.  From what I can see, his visual analyses are quite sound (although there are some loose ends), but some of his attempts to broaden the perspective on them -- Freudian, structuralist, "cultural-history", whatever -- somewhat miss the mark.  I'd be interested in a more detailed critique (off-list if you prefer).  It is striking me more and more how difficult it is to form a proper historical perspective on eschatological issues in general.
Cheers,
Jim

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Gyorgy Gereby [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: August 20, 2014 3:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] dilation and Beatific Vision

Dear Jim,

Thanks for the correction. I'll have a look at Baschet again, since I should have remembered the book which might be right from the art historian's perspective while, at least as far as I remember, it offers a completely misconceived Freudian construction in the explanatory part.

Best,

George

György Geréby CSc (PhD)
associate professor