Thank you, Dina.

This is a very helpful list.

Here are some Israeli films and filmmakers who question the hegemonic state narratives.

Avi Mograbi's 'Avenge But One of My Two Eye's' is a critique of some of the myths of Israeli statehood and can be accessed at http://www.avimograbi.com/#!watch-now/ck0qs

Eyal Silvan's 'Common State' argues for a one state solution. More information at http://www.eyalsivan.info/

Simone Bitton's 'Wall' is an observational film about the Wall's construction. More information about Simone at http://dafilms.com/director/8842-simone-bitton/ (this last is available as a DVD)

If a site is set up, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Cahal

Cahal McLaughlin
Professor of Film Studies,
School of Creative Arts,
Queens University Belfast
Room 003, First Floor,
21 University Square,
Belfast BT7 1NN
N. Ireland
00 44 2890973634

www.prisonsmemoryarchive.com

www.facebook.com/creativeartsqub

On 6 Aug 2014, at 08:47, Dina Iordanova wrote:

Dear friends and colleagues,

I am writing in reaction to Des Freedman's appeal from, asking 'what we can actually do to show solidarity with our sisters and brothers in Gaza and to put pressure on our UK government that is complicit in the crimes taking place.' The current moment of respite may be a good opportunity to reflect.

As someone who works in transnational film, one thing I thought could be done is to acknowledge the critical mass of films, made internationally, that address important aspects of the years of basic human rights denigration leading to what has been happening in Gaza. Filmmakers from a number of countries have traveled to the region and have made films about life under occupation, there have been films made by filmmakers based in the Middle East (both Israelis and Arabs), and there are films made by Palestinians who live in the diaspora.

It is important, it seems to me, to bring together the information about this important and yet disparate body of work. If we did this, it would be possible to integrate these resources in teaching and discussion.
As most of these films are made with activist intention, many are freely available on-line.

So here is a list of films that document and chronicle, most of them subtitled in English. I am indebted for much of this listing to Eva Jørholt of the University of Copenhagen.
We have only seen about half of these, so  it is possible that some may be 'plain' TV journalism.
There are probably many more out there, so we think of this listing as a beginning …

From the films that I have seen during the past one year, three stand out and I would like to personally endorse them, as they have powerfully informed my thinking on the conflict:

First is  is Mehdi Fleifel's remarkable A WORLD NOT OURS, which is now out on commercial DVD - see http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Not-Ours-DVD/dp/B00IG3LIH2/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1407174976&sr=1-1&keywords=a+world+not+ours and also available here: http://www.fulltv.tv/movies/alam-laysa-lana-a-world-not-ours.html

Then, there is Eyal Sivan's COMMON STATE: POTENTIAL CONVERSATION, which was mentioned here by  Cahal McLaughlin and which is, unfortunately, does not seem to be easily accessible. It was in theatrical distribution in France last year;  the trailer is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQF7dS3emFQ.

Third, even if not directly related, one of the most philosophical films on these matters is Joana Hajithomas and Khalil Joreige's  THE LEBANESE ROCKET SOCIETY, available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T97mbIxZGp8

OTHER FILMS:

The Gaza Strip Documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kh_v7b7Lz8
Kinder der Steine, Kinder der Mauer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9SNeuk6RlU
Palestine Blues (in six instalments) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNQpvciBoks

Other films that would need to be listed here include Pary El-Qalqili's TURTLE'S RAGE, Udi Aloni's ART/VIOLENCE and FORGIVENESS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLWSKp7nKMs), Avi Mograbi's ONCE I ENTERED A GARDEN (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1dj8i1_once-i-entered-a-garden_shortfilms), as well as Eyal Sivan's DISSENT (http://vimeo.com/65295720).

Ideally, I would like to see a web-site that would present information about this body of work, perhaps with reviews of the most important films, so as to allow educators and other interested parties navigate through this transnational oeuvre. Happy to discuss if someone is interested to pull off such a project.

Dina Iordanova FRSA
Professor of Global Cinema and Creative Cultures
Director, IGCCC
Director, Centre for Film Studies
Publisher, St. Andrews Film Studies
University of St. Andrews, Scotland

MeCCSA recommends that the list be used only for posting of information (for example about events, publications, conferences, lectures) of interest to members or to promote discussion of current issues of wide general interest in the field. Posts to the MeCCSA mailing list are public, indexed by Google, and can be accessed from the JISCMail website (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/meccsa.html).

Any messages posted to the list are subject to the JISCMail acceptable use policy, which states that users should avoid “engaging in unreasonable behaviour, or disrupting the general flow of discussion on a list.”

For further information, please visit: http://www.meccsa.org.uk/