I agree with both Rosie and Margaret.  The dissenting voices should make themselves heard not just on this list, but also within Council.  I suspect there was more to Tom's resignation than he could express in writing. (And no, I am not privy to any inside information - just a supposition).

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim

From: Rosie Hare <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 12 August 2014, 13:51
Subject: Re: John Dolan rejoins CILIP Council in Tom Roper's place

I absolutely agree with Margaret's point and I think that is why it is such a disappointment that Tom resigned. It is absolutely essential to have these dissenting voices in any kind of debate or democratic process and the way some people have addressed Frances and others over the time I have been a member of this list is disgusting and disrespectful. As a member of the next generation of the LIS profession I have been very disheartened by the words and actions of grown adults and those who are supposed to be leading by example by steering the course of our professional body.

As much as I agree with Margaret, I can appreciate how difficult it must be to always be the one who does not agree with the majority and how keeping up the fight alone must be exhausting. We need these people in CILIP and CILIP needs to realise that these voices are not just interfering to be awkward or rude, but are offering a valid, alternative viewpoint that cannot be ignored.

Rosie Hare
Digital Facilitator

Tel: +44 (0) 1642 333516
Email: [log in to unmask]

LRC Room 1.012
Middlesbrough College
Dock Street
Middlesbrough
TS2 1AD

Middlesbrough College Introduces -
MC6 Sixth Form and MC Sport - Opening Sept 2012

Course Information 01642 333700
http://www.mbro.ac.uk

Disclaimer added by CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2007
http://www.codetwo.com

MIDDLESBROUGH COLLEGE DISCLAIMER:
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message and may be subject to legal privilege.

Access to this e-mail by anyone other than the intended recipient is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error or are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not use, copy, distribute or deliver to anyone this message (or any part of its contents ) or take any action in reliance on it. In such cases, you must destroy this message and notify the sender immediately.

Middlesbrough College employees are forbidden to make any sexual, racial or otherwise defamatory statements, infringe or authorise infringement of copyright or any other legal right within any communication. Any such communication is contrary to the College's Acceptable Use Policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned. The College will not accept any liability in respect of such a communication and the employee responsible will be personally liable for any damages or action arising.

No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Middlesbrough College with another party via email without the express written authorisation from a senior member of staff from Middlesbrough College.

The views, opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this email are not given or endorsed by Middlesbrough College unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative independent of this message.

All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. The College does not accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments. We recommend that you subject any such emails or attachments to your virus checking procedures prior to use.